Monday, May 11, 2009

Cracking the Maya Code: will 2012 be a non event?



The brilliant work of David Stuart has brought the Maya glyphs to the pages of written history, giving insight to the real life events of the people of those times. The ability to read these glyphs is being shown to the present day Mayans who can now relate it in their native tounge. David has a blog "Maya Decipherment.com" on Wordpress that shares much of his knowledge on this subject.

According to Stephen Houston and David Stuart's interpretation of the Tortuguero Monument 6 it is mainly the dedication of the building that is associated with the sculpture. It has nothing to do with prophecy or the supposed, dread events that await us in AD 2012. This is discussed in the comments by proponents who prescribe to a more meaningful event than the mere change to a new world order.

What Will Not Happen in 2012

December 20, 2008 by mayoid

by Stephen Houston

Epigraphers await 2012 with trepidation. There will be ill-founded claims, bad Hollywood movies (one now in production), silly reportage, and much distortion of what 2012 meant for the ancient Maya. Every imaginable anxiety will apply to this key event in the Maya calendar. If we are candid, too, there will be renewed interest in our field, which scholars can shape to positive result…if the public ever bothers to listen. A rich ethnography of misunderstanding awaits those who wish to peruse the web.

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine mentioned 2012 last night to me and it's the first I heard about it so I jumped on here out of curiosity. I think it's kind of sick and sounds like a bunch of skeptical jargon.
    I choose to live every day like it is the last because let's be real, WHO THE HELL KNOWS what is going to happen or when it's your time to go on. The past is history, the future is a mystery and now is a gift, thats why it's called the present. It's not healthy to sit around and trip out about when you will die. Stop wasting your time you have now.
    [url=http://2012earth.net/stop_frighten.html
    ]planetery ascension december 2012
    [/url] - some truth about 2012

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big I

    Yep, this is where it's at, at least right now, "the here and now"...that's where I am as I type this message. A message that is already history as it appears on the page, in fact, pretty much everything that I think and do relates to history.

    I am positive that the sun will come up in the morning, and reasonably sure that I will be there to see it. The ying and the yang is always in perfect balance, so I need only to understand it and broaden the moment of perception to something that is comprehensive to my current experience.

    Sometime in the near future I believe that I will look up the meaning of experience and, if that is edifying, I'll also look up the meaning of qualified. So....what to do tomorrow? Read some more about Mayan glyphs and the precesion of the equinox, or find solace in looking at a dew drop on a blade of grass in a meadow that I have only imagined.

    ReplyDelete