Friday, May 25, 2007

Lincoln's Warning to "We The People".



LINCOLNS WARNING

Monarchy is sometimes hinted at as a possible refuge from the power of the people. In my present position I would be scarcely justified were I to omit exercising a warning voive against returning despotism.

There is one point to which I ask attention: it is the effort to place capitol on an equal footing with, if not above labor in the structure of our government. I bid the laboring people to beware of surrendering a power that they allready possess, amd which surrendered will surely be used to close the door to advancement to such as they, and fix new disabilities and burdons upon them, till all of liberty be lost. Labor is prior to and independent of capitol. Capitol is only the fruit of labor and never could have existed had not labor previously existed. Labor is much the superior and deserves much the higher consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment