Saturday, September 16, 2006

A bottle of water costs more than a can of beer?


Well...Being from the times of cheap gas and plentiful water, it doesn't surprise me that bottled water is not such a good deal. In fact a small bottle of water sometimes costs more than a can of beer. There used to be a lot of places along the old roads, where there was a spring where folks could water their horses for free. Some of them were still there, even in the 1960's, and we would bring our 5 gallon bottles and get free spring water. I don't know of any springs like that today though, and I live in rural Oregon where there is a lot of water. City water didn't cost much, no matter how much you used, but not so today. Mine is $40 per mo. minimum, but over $70 per mo. when I water a small garden and some flower beds. I don't even think about watering the grass.

Bottled Water: Nectar of the Frauds?

WASHINGTON - Water, water everywhere and we are duped into buying it bottled.

Consumers spend a collective $100 billion every year on bottled water in the belief--often mistaken, as it happens--that this is better for us than what flows from our taps, according to environmental think tank the Earth Policy Institute (EPI).

For a fraction of that sum, everyone on the planet could have safe drinking water and proper sanitation, the Washington, D.C.-based organization said this week.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Geezer,
    I am a wateraholic and virtually drink nothing else. I am grateful that bottled water is readily available especially when hubby and I are out and about. I do recycle bottles and refill them myself but now experts warn against that. What upsets me more are those damn drink boxes that come in gazillion flavors and get the kids hooked.

    ReplyDelete