Saturday, August 19, 2006
Isreal violates cease fire & abducts Palestinian Official
Looking at the big picture, I wonder who is terrorised and who are the terrorists. Israel has allready violated the cease fire,and has abducted several members of the Hamas cabinet, and around 30 Palestinian lawmakers. In Lebanon they have invaded with armoured troop carriers, helicopters, and fighter planes, taking out yet one more bridge on the Litani River. Most of the bridges along 90 miles of the river have been destroyed. Does this look like Israel is planning to vacate Southern Lebanon soon?
Middle East: Israel Violates Cease-Fire, Arrests Palestinian Official
PRAGUE, August 19, 2006 (RFE/RL) -- Despite a UN resolution calling for a cease-fire in the Middle East there was fighting overnight in Lebanon and anger in the Palestinian territories at the arrest of a top government official.
Israeli troops abduct Palestinian deputy prime minister
Posted: 19-08-2006 , 14:10 GMT
Palestinian Deputy Prime Minister Nasser ShaerIsraeli soldiers abducted the Palestinian deputy prime minister early Saturday, the army said, the highest-ranking Hamas official to be captured by Israel in a six-week-old crackdown against the ruling Hamas party.
According to press reports, occupation troops stormed into the home of Nasser Shaer around 4:30 a.m. and took him away, the deputy prime minister's wife, Huda, said. She added her husband had been in hiding since Israel started its crackdown in late June after Hamas fighters in the Gaza Strip infiltrated southern Israel and captured a soldier. She said he had rarely been home during that period.
The army confirmed Shaer was arrested in Ramallah overnight for his involvement and activity in Hamas.
With Shaer's abduction, four members of the Hamas-dominated Palestinian Cabinet and some 30 Hamas lawmakers are in Israeli hands. Four other ministers have been detained and released.
© 2006 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
Lebanon Gives Warning After Israeli Raid
By SAM F. GHATTAS
BEIRUT, Lebanon Aug 19, 2006 (AP)— Israeli commandos raided a Hezbollah stronghold deep inside Lebanon Saturday, sparking a fierce clash with militants that left one Israeli soldier dead. Lebanon called the raid a "flagrant violation" of the U.N.-brokered cease-fire, while Israel said it was aimed at disrupting arms smuggling from Iran and Syria.
Witnesses also said Israeli missiles destroyed a bridge during the raid in what would be the first such airstrike since the cease-fire took effect on Monday, ending 34 days of warfare between the two sides.
The fighting did not appear to be escalating, but it highlighted the fragility of the 6-day-old truce as the United Nations pleaded for nations to contribute to an international peacekeeping force due to patrol southern Lebanon.
The Israeli military said such operations would continue until "an effective monitoring unit" was in place to prevent Hezbollah from rebuilding its arsenal.
"If the Syrians and Iran continue to arm Hezbollah in violation of the (U.N. cease-fire) resolution, Israel is entitled to act to defend the principle of the arms embargo," Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev said. "Once the Lebanese army and the international forces are active … then such Israeli activity will become superfluous."